According to a recent survey by Pew Research, 67% of all internet users indicate that they use social networking sites. This is not surprising, but the breakdown by social media platform sheds some light on who is interacting on social sites.
- Facebook: 67% of internet users are on Facebook; the largest class of users is adult womean aged 18-29.
- Twitter: Only 16% of those surveyed are users; the platform is a favorite of urban residents who are adults ages 18-29.
- Pinterest: 15% of internet users surveyed enjoy pinterest; especially appealing to women, andadults under 50 years of age.
- Instagram: Just 13% of internet users are on Instagram; especially appealing to adults ages 18-29, women, and urban residents.
- Tumblr: Only 6% of those surveyed use this social network; primarily adults ages 18-29.
On the whole though, the survey indicates that social network usage trends more female, white, young (18-29), somewhat educated, and urban.
Bottom Line: No real surprises here – the trick is to match your social media approach to address the concerns and needs of the primary groups of users for these various social media platforms.